Sunday, March 23, 2008

Barack Obama sold out his grandmother

By now just about everyone has seen the video of Jeremiah Wright, Barack Obama’s "spiritual advisor" and mentor of 20 years, preaching his loony-toons black liberation theology of racial hatred.

Here’s Mark Steyn’s recent take on Obama’s attempts to ‘explain’:

"I’m sure," said Barack Obama in that sonorous baritone that makes his drive-thru order for a Big Mac, fries, and strawberry shake sound profound, "many of you have heard remarks from your pastors, priests, or rabbis with which you strongly disagreed."

Well, yes. But not many of us have heard remarks from our pastors, priests, or rabbis that are stark, staring, out-of-his-tree flown-the-coop nuts.

Nonetheless, last week, Barack Obama told America: "I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community."

...Instead of distancing himself from his pastor, he attempted to close the gap between Wright and the rest of the country, arguing, in effect, that the guy is not just his crazy uncle but America’s, too.

"I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother," [Obama] continued. "A woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street."

Asked about the sin of racism beating within Gran’ma’s breast, Obama said on TV that "she’s a typical white person." [...] Which doesn’t sound like the sort of thing the supposed "post-racial" candidate ought to be saying ...

And here is Christopher Hitchens on Obama’s reference to his grandmother:

I don’t know if you noticed it or not, or whether you were young, as I was, there was a saying about politicians, they’d sell their own grandmother?

Well, he just did. I’ve never seen it done before, actually. You say these things.

...as if yes, well okay, this big mouth rock and roll idiot, Jeremiah Wright, may have said some ghastly things, but so did my now-dead grandmother, who isn’t here to defend herself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but who gives a damn what Steyn says?